Saturday, May 15, 2010

Arty arty art art on Cherokee

I don't get out enough—despite trying to keep track of art-related goings-on on Cherokee Street for my other blog, one project or obligation or another always seems to get in the way of my actually going to the goings-on.

But today I was all "to hell with it, I'm going to go look at art."  Lucky for me Snowflake was open this afternoon, so I got to see the super show there right now, which is recent work by Clint Baclawski (photographs) and Caleb Taylor. (Along with Gabriel Slavitt's installation at Drive-By.

It probably goes without saying that photographic work gets my attention, and Clint Baclawski's lightbox photos are really exceptional.  Make time to go see these if you can. All three artists have done some impressive work. The show is up until June 6. Snowflake has open hours on Saturdays from 11:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m. Location information below. Drive-By is on view 24-7, so you've got no excuses!





Snowflake






Drive-By



Then I hopped across the street because I noticed that Fort Gondo was open. There I found "Marks of Absence," works by Lily Cox-Richard and Lori Larusso (Caleb Cole has a companion exhibition at Good Citizen Gallery on Gravois.) More information on all three artists and their work can be found here.


I lucked out seeing this show—both artists at Fort Gondo really put up fabulous pieces.  I'll have to try to make it by Good Citizen to see Caleb Cole's work soon. (Sculptures are Lily Cox-Richard's and shaped panel acrylic paintings are by Lori Larusso.) Go see these! This show will also be up until June 6. Fort Gondo will be open Saturdays from noon-5, so you can make an afternoon of it with a visit to Snowflake. (And have lunch or dinner or snacks or drinks at Tower Taco, also right in this little stretch of Cherokee. Yum.)  




 Fort Gondo


And then, and then! I headed across town for a few more galleries and an unexpected visit with an old friend, but that post will have to wait for another day.


Snowflake
Location: 3156 Cherokee Street (at Compton) • St. Louis, Missouri 63118
(Drive-By is on the side of the building, on Compton)

Fort Gondo
3151 Cherokee St., St. Louis, MO  63118


(All of the exhibits at both galleries have received support from The Santo Foundation. Check it out!)

No comments:

Post a Comment